Finally after tearing up two layers of linoleum and sub flooring, then sanding, sanding and sanding, and sanding off two stains that I didn’t like, here it is!!! This is my new kitchen floor!!!! I love it!!!! It’s a grey wash. Not a white wash but grey wash!!! Paint was mixed half paint and half water, water based paint, and my David painted it on, then we wiped it off. As much as I wanted the mix of grey paint and the wood grain to show was not easy but after a few tries we got it just the way I wanted!! Some poly and this is the finish product!!
Now u can’t see it in the pic but there r two diff kinds of wood were an extension was added on years after the original floor was put down. That was a nightmare!!!!!!!! I wanted the old aged look floor. I did the vinegar and steel wool method and the original flooring was so beautiful, but that other stuff just looked dirty. I put the black tea on the one side with the difficult wood and tried the vin again. Nope. Ugh, Then we got the mineral classic grey stain and did that, nope!!!! The wood sucked it up like a sponge but then it disappeared. It was a spotted mess of brown shades and grey and looked awful!!!!! The old side was great but that other wood just didn’t work. AGAIN!!!!
There wasn’t much left to do to get the look I wanted. The floor changed right in front of the stove so I had to get both sides to match!!!
Then my hubby came through again for me with the grey wash!
So, three floors, three totally different methods. Living room, we layed the boards, did the vin and wool and after a second coat it was perfect for poly. The dining room, we redid the original floor, stained it, did make the mistake of not popping it and had to do it all again but then we got it perfect and ready for poly. The kitchen, well, it’s done!!!!!